M: Hi, Lucy. Nice to meet you! Tomorrow is Sunday. We’ll go boating. Will you go with us?
W: I’d like to, but my mother has gone to see my grandma. I have to look after the house.
M; You can ask your father to do it, can’t you?
W: No. My father is going to take part in an important meeting tomorrow.
M: What a pity!
W: Thank you all the same. Enjoy yourselves. Bye!
W: Having visited so many different countries, you must be able to speak several different languages.
M: I wish I could, but French and English are the only ones I have ever learned to speak.
W: Have you ever tried Chinese?
M: Yes, but I gave up halfway. The Chinese characters are too difficult to practice.
W: How about Japanese?
M: The Japanese grammar is so difficult.
W: Do you like travelling?
M: No, I don’t , but I have to. I work in the company.
M: Good morning. Central School of Music.
W: Good morning. My name is Judy Black. I’d like some information about piano lessons, please.
M: Are you a beginner?
W: Yes. I’ve never played the piano before.
M: Then you’ll want a beginners’ class. There’s one on Tuesday morning and another on Wednesday evening.
W: I work during the day, so I’d like the evening class.
M: Well, it begins at half past seven and it’s a two-hour class.
W: Oh, that will be fine for me. Er, can you tell me how much I have to pay?
M: Each lesson costs five pounds fifty pennies.
W: Great. Thank you very much. Bye.
Most Americans don’t like to get advice from members of their families. When they need
advice, they don’t usually ask people they know. Instead, many Americans write letters to newspapers or magazines. They can get advice on many different subjects, such as family problems, the use of a language, health, cooking, child care, and how to buy a house or a car.
In most newspapers there are letters from readers with problems. There are answers written by doctors, lawyers or educators. But two of the most famous writers are women without special training for this kind of work. One of them is called “Dear Abby” by readers and the other is called “Dear Ann Landers”. Experience is their preparation for giving advice.
16. Can you speak English? Do you like kids? I need someone to help my daughter learn English during the vacation. The pay is good.
17. The tomato looks like the human’s heart. Scientists say that tomatoes are really the best food
for the heart. Eating tomatoes can keep us healthy.
18. Alice studied hard for her math test yesterday. She is very tired today, and she wants to relax for a while. She likes listening to music. She thinks it is helpful for her.
19. Tom is a basketball fan. His hobby is playing basketball. He likes Michael Jordan very much. He is now searching the Internet to get the information about him.
20. Linda’s hobby is collecting stamps. She began to collect stamps when she was seven. She has many kinds of stamps and she also wants to start a club.