Listen to the following passage. Altogether the passage will be read to you four times. During the first reading, which will be done at normal speed, listen and try to understand the meaning. For the second and third readings, the passage will be read sentence by sentence, or phrase by phrase, with intervals of 15 seconds. The last reading will be done at normal speed again and during this time you should check your work. You will then be given ONE minute to check through your work once more.
Please write the whole passage on Answer Sheet One
PART II LISTENING COMPREHENSION [20MIN]
SECTION A TALK
In this section you will hear a talk You will hear the talk ONCE ONLY. While listening, you may look at the task on ANSWER SHEET ONE and write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each gap. Make sure what you fill in is both grammatically and semantically acceptable. You may use the blank sheet for note-taking.
You have THIRTY seconds to preview the gap-filling task.
Now listen to the talk. When it is over, you will be given TWO minutes to check your work
What Is Grit?
Why isn't I.Q. the only difference between students?
What is the key to (1) __________.
investigation of all kinds of (2) __________, including:
—West Point Military Academy.
— (3) __________.
— private companies.
My finding: grit as predictor of success
Grit is (4) __________ for very long-term goals.
Grit is working hard for years to make (5) __________.
Grit is living your life like a (6) __________.
high school juniors took grit questionnaires.
(7) __________kids were more likely to graduate.
little is known about how to build grit in students.
data show grit is unrelated to (8) __________.
growth mindset is the belief that the ability to learn is (9) __________.
kids with grit believe failure is (10) __________.
We need to be gritty about getting our kids grittier.
SECTION B CONVERSATIONS
In this section you will hear two conversations. At the end of each conversation, five questions will be asked about what was said. Both the conversation and the questions will be spoken ONCE ONLY. After each question there will be a ten-second pause. During the pause, you should read the four choices of A, B, C and D, and mark the best answer to each question on ANSWER SHEET TWO.
You have THIRTY seconds to preview the questions.
Now, listen to the conversations.
Questions 1 to 5 are based on Conversation One.
1. A. To tell the man that he has been shortlisted for interview.
B. To ask the man a few questions about his interview.
C. To tell the man the procedure of the interview.
D. To explain to the man how to make a presentation.
2. A. Questions related to the job.
B. General questions about himself.
C. Specific questions about his CV.
D. Questions about his future plan.
3. A. Questions from the interviewers.
B. Questions from the interviewee.
C. Presentation from the interviewee.
D. Requests from the interviewee.
4. A. Educational and professional background.
B. Problems he has faced and solved.
C. Major successes in his career so far.
D. Company future and his contribution.
5. A. 11 a.m., next Tuesday.
B. 11 a.m., next Thursday.
C. 9 a.m., this Tuesday.
D. 9 a.m., this Thursday.
Questions 6 to 10 are based on Conversation Two
6. A. How college students pay for their education.
B. How to handle the problem of college loans.
C. The disadvantages of college loans.
D. Government financing in college education.
7. A. It has increased by 6 to 8 %.
B. It has increased by 8 to 10 %.
C. It has decreased by 6 to 8%.
D. It has decreased by 8 to 10%.
8. A. Student's family income.
B. First year salary after graduation.
C. A fixed amount of 30,000 dollars.
D. Payment in the next ten years.
9. A. Students can borrow money first.
B. Students pay no tax on savings.
C. Students pay less tax after graduation.
D. Students withdraw without paying tax.
10. A. Giving up charitable or volunteer work.
B. Neglecting their study at college.
C. Giving up further education.
D. Neglecting high salary in job-seeking.
Think Positively and Feel Positively
Are you confident or insecure in a difficult situation? Do you react
positively or negatively? The answer may depend in part on whom you are
A study found that negative thinking can be contagious in some cases. For
example, the researchers studied 103 college roommates. They measured each
roommate’s tendency towards negative thinking. It was found that thinking
patterns can be contagious. Students with a negative thinking roommate became
more depressed themselves and students with more positive thinking roommates
were more likely to become more positive as well.
Part I DICTATION
Think Positive and Feel Positive Are you confident or insecure in a difficult situation? / Do you react positively or negatively? / The answer may depend in part on whom you’re around. / A study found that negative thinking can be contagious in some cases. / For example, the researchers studied 103 college roommates. / They measured each roommate’s tendency towards negative thinking. / It was found that thinking patterns can be contagious. / Students with a negative thinking roommate became more depressed themselves, / and students with more positive thinking roommates / were more likely to become more positive as well.
Part II LISTENING COMPREHENSION
SECTION A TALK
2. challenging settings
3. National Spelling Contest
4. passion and perseverance
5. future a reality
8. measures of talent
9. not fixed / changeable
10. a temporary condition
SECTION B CONVERSATIONS
1. Why does the woman call the man? 答案：［D］ To tell the man the procedure of the interview.
2. What kind of questions can the man ask in the interview? 答案：［A］ Questions related to the job.
3. Which is the last part of the interview? 答案：［C］Presentation from the interviewee.
4. What might be expected from the man’s presentation? 答案：［D］Company future and his contribution.
5. When is the interview scheduled? 答案：［B］11 a.m. ，next Thursday.
6. What is the interview mainly about? 答案：［C］ How to handle the problem of college loans.
7. How does the cost of college education change every year? 答案：［A］It was increased by 6 to 8%.
8. What is used to measure student loan debt as a guideline? 答案：［B］First year salary after graduation.
9. What is the advantage of joining a college savings plan? 答案：［D］Students withdraw without paying tax.
10. What is the possible social cost of a college loan? 答案：［A］Giving up charitable or volunteer work.