Newtown, Connecticut, residents laid wreaths and held prayer services Sunday as officials offered new details to the shooting. They said that 20-year-old Adam Lanza killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, shooting her four times in the head, and then drove to Sandy Hook Elementary School, where investigators believe he was once enrolled.
Recent Mass Shootings in the United States
- July 2012: A gunman kills 12 people during a showing of Batman in Colorado.
- January 2011: A gunman kills six people and wounds U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona.
- November 2009: A U.S. Army psychiatrist kills 13 people at Fort Hood, Texas.
- April 2007: A Virginia Tech student kills 32 people before committing suicide.
- April 1999: Two Columbine High School students kill 12 students, one teacher and themselves in Colorado.